Saturday, February 26, 2011

Machie and Demure 2nd batch update

For this second batch of babies i decided to leave them with the parents for a longer period just to see the difference as compare to the first batch which i remove at three weeks old...  they hatch on 8th and 9th Feb, slightly over 2weeks now.. somehow this batch is looking bigger in size.. it could be due to never ending live food supply during first season therefore lots of goodies in mummy's tummy to produce tougher chicks.. haha! Just my guess..





6 comments:

  1. Very nice! I always leave the chicks with the parents until few days before the next batch leave the nest. Looks like 3 male/ 1 female?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lac Viet,

    3m1f, that is also my guess but the third male i am not very sure.. you mean its ok to leave them in side while new egg is laid till before it hatch? I am just concern that the father might attack them..

    Regards!
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I always leave the chicks inside with their parent while new eggs of second clutch are laid, incubated by the mother, hatched until approx. 3 days the chicks from second clutch jump out of the nest then I catch the chicks from the first clutch out. If I left chicks from first clutch inside with chicks from second clutch, chick from second clutch won't have enough food to eat as chicks from first clutch is so strong so they will steal all the food that their parent try to feed second clutch chicks. One thing to note is that my breeding cage is approx. 1.2m Wide x 1.2m Length x 1.6m High so young chicks can far away enough that their father won't attack them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see your point, thanks for sharing : ) my cage is pretty small as you can see.. i don't think its safe enough for me to do that, i am kinda lazy so this time round i will leave them in for up to six weeks if possible! haha... !

    ReplyDelete